Thursday’s Task

John Holbrook

Well-Known Member
Thursday's Task 3-9-23.jpg


Camera phone and “real” camera images of same/similar scene (show both) OR members may post either phone-camera or “real” camera image(s)––members can guess with which it was captured! My examples below:

Bryce Canyon National Park, UT (2016)
Nikon D810

_DSC4519-HDR-Edit-Edit.jpg


iPhone 7

IMG_3942.jpg


Goosenecks State Park, UT (2016)
Nikon D810

_DSC2484-Pano-2-Edit-Edit.jpg


iPhone 7

IMG_3915.jpg
 
Last edited:

AlanLichty

Moderator
Right after I first got an iPhone 13 Pro I did exactly this experiment down near Florence Oregon. I had set up the iPhone to take RAW images so I could at least partially take control of the processing although the iPhone output is still a calculated result from a multitude of exposures it automatically collects when you squeeze off a shot.

The scene here is one of the first sets of falls you encounter on the Sweet Creek trail and I will confess that this is a low light situation where the iPhone is at a distinct disadvantage. I did brace the iPhone on top of my camera/tripod both to help as well as make sure I came close to replicating the scene. I was not able to match up the colors as well as I would have liked. There are some quirks to the color maps with the iPhone. The iPhone image was run through Topaz Denoise while the DSLR image was processed with DxO PureRAW. DxO will not process the iPhone DNG files FWIW.

iPhone version (1/60s @f/1.8 w/ISO320)

TT-SCLFiPhone.jpg


And my DSLR (Canon 5D MkII 0.3s @f/7.1 w/ISO 100)

TT-SCLF5DMkII.jpg
 

John Holbrook

Well-Known Member
Right after I first got an iPhone 13 Pro I did exactly this experiment down near Florence Oregon. I had set up the iPhone to take RAW images so I could at least partially take control of the processing although the iPhone output is still a calculated result from a multitude of exposures it automatically collects when you squeeze off a shot.

The scene here is one of the first sets of falls you encounter on the Sweet Creek trail and I will confess that this is a low light situation where the iPhone is at a distinct disadvantage. I did brace the iPhone on top of my camera/tripod both to help as well as make sure I came close to replicating the scene. I was not able to match up the colors as well as I would have liked. There are some quirks to the color maps with the iPhone. The iPhone image was run through Topaz Denoise while the DSLR image was processed with DxO PureRAW. DxO will not process the iPhone DNG files FWIW.

iPhone version (1/60s @f/1.8 w/ISO320)

View attachment 57286

And my DSLR (Canon 5D MkII 0.3s @f/7.1 w/ISO 100)

View attachment 57287
Alan, very interesting comments you’ve shared—and helpful. I really like your chosen subject (especially the image captured via the Canon). Thank you for sharing these well composed images.
 

John Holbrook

Well-Known Member
Here are a few relatively recent ones...

Vernal Falls (Pixel 4)
View attachment 57293

Vernal Falls (Canon R5)
View attachment 57290

Half Dome Twilight (Pixel 7)
View attachment 57291

Half Dome Twilight (Canon R5)
View attachment 57289

Mesa Arch (Pixel 7)
View attachment 57292

Mesa Arch (Canon R5)
View attachment 57288
Kyle, beautiful examples you’ve shared and how closely the framing of the subjects were so similar—good technique. Perhaps my favorite is Vernal Falls image—taken with the “real” camera!
 
Last edited:

John Holbrook

Well-Known Member
Disclaimer: I don't take many landscape pictures with my phone. So for this task I had to go back to 2015 where I had an older iPhone (not sure the iteration) and a Canon 5D Mark III. The images below are from Cape Kiwanda.

iPhone
View attachment 57296

Canon 5D Mark III
View attachment 57295
Jameel, I’m glad you were able to find such a gorgeous example for this Task today. I don’t often use my camera phone while taking landscape images either—I had to do some searching as well. A lovely scene you’ve shared.
 
Last edited:

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Hey John,

I was able to capture this tonight while driving 2 of the grandkids to their gymnastics class. I had to pull over fast and grab it before it was gone. The color was fading fast, so I shot first with the Nikon D810 and then with the iPhone.

BTW, almost everything I capture with my DSLR, I also capture with my iphone. I might miss once in a while, but I usually take photos with my iphone, mainly to send to friends to make them jealous... :) Oh, and also for a backup. If something happens to the images I take on my DSLR I still have a copy of it then on my iphone. The resolution isn't as nice of course, but it's better then nothing at all.

Very quick edits. And one advantage of the DSLR is I have much much longer lenses then the iPhone has.

That's the Rockies btw.

Nikon D810 (Spot the plane)
_D811771_dw.jpg


iPhone
6EDCF0E5-8ABB-4C17-AF46-639DA751260F.jpeg
 

John Holbrook

Well-Known Member
Hey John,

I was able to capture this tonight while driving 2 of the grandkids to their gymnastics class. I had to pull over fast and grab it before it was gone. The color was fading fast, so I shot first with the Nikon D810 and then with the iPhone.

BTW, almost everything I capture with my DSLR, I also capture with my iphone. I might miss once in a while, but I usually take photos with my iphone, mainly to send to friends to make them jealous... :) Oh, and also for a backup. If something happens to the images I take on my DSLR I still have a copy of it then on my iphone. The resolution isn't as nice of course, but it's better then nothing at all.

Very quick edits. And one advantage of the DSLR is I have much much longer lenses then the iPhone has.

That's the Rockies btw.

Nikon D810 (Spot the plane)
View attachment 57310

iPhone
View attachment 57311
Jim, a beautiful sight you’ve captured of the Rockies—with both cameras! It’s interesting many members often use their camera phones while on a shoot—good idea. Hope the grandkids enjoyed your brief stop to enjoy this beautiful sight.
 
Last edited:

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Jim, a beautiful sight you’ve captured of the Rockies—with both cameras! It’s interesting many members often use their camera phones while on a shoot—good idea. Hope the grandkids enjoyed your brief stop to enjoy this beautiful sight.
Thanks John!

Something interesting about using the iPhone also I found a few years ago. I would have my camera setup on a tripod when I will pull out my iPhone and just point and shoot a photo to send to my friends. Well I would actually like how my iPhone image looked better, so I would then move my tripod and camera to line up with the iPhone composition. My thinking is that sometimes we can think too hard about a composition. We have years of experience in most cases of how to set up a compelling composition, so it's ingrained in our brain. So when we just point and shoot with our iPhones, it just naturally goes to the best composition.

Maybe that's not real, but that's been my conclusion.
 

Kyle Jones

Moderator
Thanks John!

Something interesting about using the iPhone also I found a few years ago. I would have my camera setup on a tripod when I will pull out my iPhone and just point and shoot a photo to send to my friends. Well I would actually like how my iPhone image looked better, so I would then move my tripod and camera to line up with the iPhone composition. My thinking is that sometimes we can think too hard about a composition. We have years of experience in most cases of how to set up a compelling composition, so it's ingrained in our brain. So when we just point and shoot with our iPhones, it just naturally goes to the best composition.

Maybe that's not real, but that's been my conclusion.
I do exactly the same thing. After I look at the picture on my phone I often decide "I need that exact comp!"
 

John Holbrook

Well-Known Member
I didn't think that I was going to take part because I never take the same image with a camera and phone. However I was out in the snow today and remembered the task so here we go. I won't bother telling you which is which. More to come. Ken
View attachment 57323

View attachment 57324
Ken, a very beautiful landscape you’ve shared—nice composition. I commend your effort using your phone to “duplicate” this landscape via your phone—just for this Task.
 
Right after I first got an iPhone 13 Pro I did exactly this experiment down near Florence Oregon. I had set up the iPhone to take RAW images so I could at least partially take control of the processing although the iPhone output is still a calculated result from a multitude of exposures it automatically collects when you squeeze off a shot.

The scene here is one of the first sets of falls you encounter on the Sweet Creek trail and I will confess that this is a low light situation where the iPhone is at a distinct disadvantage. I did brace the iPhone on top of my camera/tripod both to help as well as make sure I came close to replicating the scene. I was not able to match up the colors as well as I would have liked. There are some quirks to the color maps with the iPhone. The iPhone image was run through Topaz Denoise while the DSLR image was processed with DxO PureRAW. DxO will not process the iPhone DNG files FWIW.

iPhone version (1/60s @f/1.8 w/ISO320)

View attachment 57286

And my DSLR (Canon 5D MkII 0.3s @f/7.1 w/ISO 100)

View attachment 57287
Alan, I love the 2nd shot simply gorgeous.

Oliver
 
Top Bottom