Thursday's Task on Saturday 03/13/2021

Because I was traveling on Thursday there was no task for that day. I postponed the task to today. The task today is to post an image or images of places that are less well known yet have beautiful photographic potential.

I have chosen to depict Mystery Valley which adjoins Monument Valley but is far less visited. The greatest appeal of this area is its petroglyphs and ruins.

Eye of the sun. You can see most of the face in the rock wall including the eyes, nose, facial bones and a bit of the mouth.
Eye of the Sun.jpg


Birthing petroglyphs are found in a number of places in the southwest. This one is on a pretty wall in Mystery Valley.
171479125.i1GPI3xU (1).jpg


The most famous petroglyph in this area is the leaping ram. But most often the surrounding petroglyphs are cropped out of the image. Here is the entire scene on this wall.
168018197.7noKGTYA.jpg



The people who built the ruins here were master craftsmen. Look at the masonry work of these ruins.

Square House
Square House Ruiin II.jpg



Baby Ruin
Baby ruin.jpg


Lone pine Arch Ruin
167433486.rhfUCxYt.jpg
 
Last edited:

Ken Rennie

Well-Known Member
Loch Eck in the West of Scotland. A 7 mile ong ribbon lake less than 30 miles from Gasgow, Scotlands largest city and once industrial heart. The USA used to have a Polaris submarine base at Holy Loch ,5 miles away but even when industry was thundering away and nuclear submarines, US and British were based nearby this area was calm and peaceful. Ken
_DSC6156-1.jpg
Dornoch Point 1600-2.jpg
 

Jim Dockery

Well-Known Member
The Mountain Loop Highway is a popular recreation destination in Snohomish County, but much less popular than the national parks in Washington. The entrance is only about 10 miles from my house, then winds into the Cascades with many trails and mountains on either side, many with rarely visited routes without trails.

Whitehorse-sunset.jpg

Liberty Mt. as viewed from near my house. No trails into this one makes it rarely visited.

Del-Campo-+-Lewis_113.jpg

Skiing the north face of Del Campo, again no trail, but in the spring firm snow makes for easy going on skis.

Gothic-Basin-_002.jpg

Sunset & moonrise (look in the water) in Gothic Basin, Sheepgap Mt. reflected.

Dawn-N-from-Kyes_Pano1.jpg

Sunrise from the summit of Kyes Pk.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
While Doug went with Mystery Valley which is outside of Monument Valley, I will have to go with Hunts Valley which is in Monument Valley. It's a long 4 or 5 hour drive I think from Monument Valley on some really bad roads which you have to have a tour guide take you up. I went with some friends and spent the night up on the rim. This is from the afternoon when we first got up there.


_DSC4787_dw.jpg


_DSC4842_dw.jpg



_DSC4903_d1w.jpg
 

MonikaC

Well-Known Member
While Doug went with Mystery Valley which is outside of Monument Valley, I will have to go with Hunts Valley which is in Monument Valley. It's a long 4 or 5 hour drive I think from Monument Valley on some really bad roads which you have to have a tour guide take you up. I went with some friends and spent the night up on the rim. This is from the afternoon when we first got up there.


View attachment 37516

View attachment 37517


View attachment 37518
Hunt's Mesa is very cool. I went there when Tom Phillips was still alive & guiding. Back then, his outfit was the only one going up there. As shown by your shots, you can get some really great light on the formations that really make them glow.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
Hunt's Mesa is very cool. I went there when Tom Phillips was still alive & guiding. Back then, his outfit was the only one going up there. As shown by your shots, you can get some really great light on the formations that really make them glow.
Thanks Monika. Yeah, Tom Phillips took me and Guy Tal and a few other guys. He was a great guy.
 
Douglass, please take me there sometime....really!
I would be happy to, Jeffrey.
Jeffrey, I think you need a Navajo guide to take you there.......Don't think Douglas quite qualifies;)
I can take him there with a friend who is the son of the owner of Blackwater Tours. His name is Casanova and he completed a degree in electrical engineering at Arizona State University. He loves the Monument Valley area so much he decided to work for his father rather than pursue a career in engineering.
 
Top Bottom