Utah Fall Colors?

JohnC

Today I had my third trip of the year cancelled. It was going to be the north rim of the Grand Canyon Sept 1. I'll just say I'm tired of this BS and it better end soon.

Does anybody know when and where the colors tend to run in Utah? I'm flexible to travel but have never been there to see colors so I'd be flying blind. Don't mind some walking/hiking but nothing too strenuous, especially at elevation.

Thanks.

JimFox

Staff member
What happened John? Is the North Rim closed?

@ckcarr is a great resource for the Eastern side of Utah and @Ben Egbert is an awesome resource for the Western Side. Ben in particular has lot's of great fall color locations in Utah around the Salt Lake City and beyond area.

JohnC

The park is open. The north rim campgrounds had been closed all season due to construction work to replace water lines and repaving. It was due to open on Sept 1 and they opened up reservations sometime earlier this year. I booked my reservation in June for Sept 1-4. Last week I got an email and a phone call asking me what my plans were and an offer to cancel with no cancellation fee. I declined to cancel. When I asked why they were doing this, the guy said it was China virus related. I knew then what was coming, it was just a matter of time. Today I got the email announcing all campsites for the month of Sept have been cancelled. They also processed my refund promptly.

Last week, when I had a strong suspicion it would be cancelled I thought I would head up to Bass Lake or somewhere in the Sierra National Forest. Until I found out it was consumed with smoke from all the fires up north.

Quite frankly I've had it with this state.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
In Utah near Salt Lake, the high country is best last week of sept. The canyons can last until Mid October. There are really two seasons, The oaks turn early, some will show colors in the next week or so, but generally the last week of Sept. Aspen are later and in mixed forests, seldom seen on color at the same time.

Here is my personal trip plans.

• Christmas meadows (overnight) Sep 29
  • Mill Canyon Ridge 0ct 2 (road was closed as of last week)
  • Squaw Peak Oct 8
  • American Fork Canyon. Oct 12
The Brighton sky resort area is great as is Cottonwood Canyon and Logan Canyon.

ckcarr

Founding Member
No different than Ben down south in Utah. Utah seems to run about 1-3 weeks later than Colorado's timing, which will be September 22 at 4:45 pm (peak colors) or so... Problem here is that there aren't that many interesting locations around the LaSals to shoot from.... The old tried and true spots are Kebler Pass and Telluride / Ouray / Silverton in Colorado...

Hard to picture right now as it reached 109 f. last week, and is right now 102 f.

JohnC

In Utah near Salt Lake, the high country is best last week of sept. The canyons can last until Mid October. There are really two seasons, The oaks turn early, some will show colors in the next week or so, but generally the last week of Sept. Aspen are later and in mixed forests, seldom seen on color at the same time.

Here is my personal trip plans.

• Christmas meadows (overnight) Sep 29
  • Mill Canyon Ridge 0ct 2 (road was closed as of last week)
  • Squaw Peak Oct 8
  • American Fork Canyon. Oct 12
The Brighton sky resort area is great as is Cottonwood Canyon and Logan Canyon.
No different than Ben down south in Utah. Utah seems to run about 1-3 weeks later than Colorado's timing, which will be September 22 at 4:45 pm (peak colors) or so... Problem here is that there aren't that many interesting locations around the LaSals to shoot from.... The old tried and true spots are Kebler Pass and Telluride / Ouray / Silverton in Colorado...

Hard to picture right now as it reached 109 f. last week, and is right now 102 f.
Thanks guys. I'm going to do some internet surfing and see what I can add to what you have given me here.

Jameel Hyder

Staff member
I have the La Sal drive from Moab late September and the fall colors were gorgeous. I can post some images when I get home later tonight.

JohnC

I've never done fall colors in Utah although I've been through the state other times of the year. FWIW, I'm looking at going to Cedar City Sept 27 and using that as a base. I'm using this Cedar City webpage as a general guide. https://visitcedarcity.com/things-to-do/outdoor-activities/fall-color-report/

If things go as usual. some of the higher elevations should be peaking around that time. Duck Creek and Panguitch just had a couple of nights below freezing so hopefully the cycle has been started. I may also consider going back later in October to view the lower elevations such as in Zion. I'll have to play that by ear.

If anyone has any familiarity with any of these areas feel free to comment. Thanks.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
I have done the area East of Cedar City and it is pretty good, and of course Zion in the first week of November is spectacular except for the buses and crowds.

JohnC

I have done the area East of Cedar City and it is pretty good, and of course Zion in the first week of November is spectacular except for the buses and crowds.
Thanks Ben. That's good to hear. It's always more of an adventure your first time somewhere, but I'm looking forward to getting out and going. It's been a miserable year so far.

If I'm not mistaken haven't the buses in Zion shut down in November?

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
The buses used to shut down end of October, but last time I was there they extended it the first week of Nov because so many people show up for fall color.

JohnC

The buses used to shut down end of October, but last time I was there they extended it the first week of Nov because so many people show up for fall color.
That's unfortunate. I remember a few years back I was there in February and was able to drive it. It makes things a lot more convenient when you can go back to your car for gear changes.

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
You would have to check current rules but I think the buses stop after the first week of nov and you can drive in. I recall going to the patriarch for sunrise and getting chased out by a ranger. The buses don’t run early enough for sunrise

JimFox

Staff member
That's unfortunate. I remember a few years back I was there in February and was able to drive it. It makes things a lot more convenient when you can go back to your car for gear changes.
When I was last there they were not running the shuttle busses this year. Now that could have changed, but I would definitely check with Zion.

Top Bottom