Utah Winter Escape - Kolob Canyon Set #1

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
So given that it seems like I have images to share only infrequently, I am going to post in a few different postings to try to draw the experience out a little. But in true Mike Lewis fashion I am also unable to build the excitement so I am going to post 2 takes on likely my favorite subject right away :)

For those not familiar, these 2 images of the same subject were taken along the Kolob Canyon Scenic Drive in the Northern section of Zion National Park. This was very close to the house we were renting. The only day we got there we had perfect conditions - golden hour with amazing light, blue sky with just enough cloud detail, and NOT a lot of competition for the pullouts along the road. The only challenge was not pulling over so many times so as to miss getting to the scenic overlook after the sun had set :)

Anyway, here are 2 takes on what I am currently feeling like is my favorite capture of the trip. The first with a wider treatment and then the 2nd zoomed in a little more. I think I favor the 2nd by a little but as always I am interested to hear about what the rest of our accomplished photographers think on that, as well as any other comments and critiques.

Kolob Grandeur:

LRCC_sRGB_FW_KolobGrandeur_TAP_9508_09_10.jpg



Kolob 'Gold':

LRCC_sRGB_FW_KolobGold_TAP_9514_5_6.jpg



ML
 

Ben Egbert

Forum Helper
Staff member
An underated area, and way better than you expect, especially when you have light like this. I also prefer the second image.
 

AlanLichty

Moderator
As Ben already mentioned - a very underrated area well worth stopping for. I prefer the wider view of the towering cliffs in #1 although both images have a lot going for them and are nice captures. Great light and clouds to highlight the snow in the shadows.
 
So given that it seems like I have images to share only infrequently, I am going to post in a few different postings to try to draw the experience out a little. But in true Mike Lewis fashion I am also unable to build the excitement so I am going to post 2 takes on likely my favorite subject right away :)

For those not familiar, these 2 images of the same subject were taken along the Kolob Canyon Scenic Drive in the Northern section of Zion National Park. This was very close to the house we were renting. The only day we got there we had perfect conditions - golden hour with amazing light, blue sky with just enough cloud detail, and NOT a lot of competition for the pullouts along the road. The only challenge was not pulling over so many times so as to miss getting to the scenic overlook after the sun had set :)

Anyway, here are 2 takes on what I am currently feeling like is my favorite capture of the trip. The first with a wider treatment and then the 2nd zoomed in a little more. I think I favor the 2nd by a little but as always I am interested to hear about what the rest of our accomplished photographers think on that, as well as any other comments and critiques.

Kolob Grandeur:

View attachment 47142


Kolob 'Gold':

View attachment 47143


ML

Mike, the 2nd one is my cup of tea, the golden glow on the cliff face creat the separtion of the mountain ranges; both are beautiful though.

Oliver
 

Mike Lewis

Staff Member
Thanks everyone - much appreciated. As stated, I slightly prefer the 2nd one too. hard not to get something you like when the light is so dramatic. As you stated Ben, this place far exceeded our expectations!
 
Top Bottom