Winged Wednesday 10/9/2019

B31856F7-F260-4A80-902C-8B449D0F0822.jpeg
Eric Gofreed asked me to start this thread this week. I’m traveling now and will add Eric’s message and image as soon as I get home on Wednesday morning.

In the meantime here is my image of a Robber Fly to start this week’s thread. So pile on and let’s make Eric proud.
 

JimFox

Moderator
Staff member
What a great start. I will hope to get a poor mans bird photo posted later. But it’s awesome to see these.
 
This is Eric's contribution this week along with his message.

For the fourteenth “Winged Wednesday,” I have selected a Long Billed Dowitcher near his nest on the Alaskan Tundra. He is standing tall as he defends his territory. Like last week, I waited for him to pose at the top of Knoll for that velvety smooth background. The tip of his bill has sensors to detect worms and bugs deep in the mud. The tip of the bill also articulates like tinny pincers to grab his food. Without this adaptation, he would have a long bill full of mud every time he probed deep.

I am still in Ecuador. I’ll comment on everyone’s photos when I return. Thanks for playing. I really enjoy seeing everyone’s work.

Long Billed Dowitcher[23242].jpg
 
Top Bottom